The next step

150 pounds Isle of Man or Southampton

We booked with Trinty College London and did the test in Portsmouth. Relatively painless besides the exam fee and the revision packet I bought which was not used.

Twenty four hours later we got an email to say it was a C pass and we wait for the certificate to be validated and sent. Next will be the visa application and hopefully another two and a half years to address grammar mistakes.


Got of to a bad start as usual. I searched for:

Further Leave to Remain visa in the UK

which did take me to the government website. But not the information I needed. After a few more dead ends I finaly got to where I wanted to be.

To apply both partners need to be 18 or over and must intend to live together permanently in the UK. You must be able to prove you’re in a civil partnership or marriage that’s recognised in the UK or that  you’ve been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply.

You also need to prove you:
• have a good knowledge of English
• can financially support yourself and your dependants

To prove your relationship send evidence that:
• confirms your relationship with your partner – for example, that you live together, share expenses or are married or in a civil partnership
• is less than 4 years old

Documents from the government, a bank, landlord, utility provider, or a medical professional. Things like:
• a marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate
• a tenancy agreement, utility bills or council tax bills confirming that you live at the same address or pay bills together
• a bank statement from a joint bank account, or confirming that you live at the same address
• a letter from your doctor or dentist confirming that you live at the same address
If you do not have any evidence that meets this criteria, there is other evidence you can provide instead. However, it’s less likely that you’ll be given a visa in this case.

You can stay in the UK for 2 years and 9 months on this visa.

You’ll need to prepare information and documents to provide with your application which you submit online whilst in the UK.

You can add children to your application as dependants if they are under 18 when you apply, or were under 18 when they were first granted leave and they do not live an independent life. A child is living an independent life if, for example, they’ve left home, got married and had children.

The earliest you can apply to settle in the UK (called ‘indefinite leave to remain’) is after you’ve lived in the UK for 5 years continuously on a family visa as a partner.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.