The next step

150 pounds Isle of Man or Southampton

We booked with Trinty College London and did the test in Portsmouth. Relatively painless besides the exam fee and the revision packet I bought which was not used.

Twenty four hours later we got an email to say it was a C pass and we wait for the certificate to be validated and sent. Next will be the visa application and hopefully another two and a half years to address grammar mistakes.


Got of to a bad start as usual. I searched for:

Further Leave to Remain visa in the UK

which did take me to the government website. But not the information I needed. After a few more dead ends I finaly got to where I wanted to be.

To apply both partners need to be 18 or over and must intend to live together permanently in the UK. You must be able to prove you’re in a civil partnership or marriage that’s recognised in the UK or that  you’ve been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply.

You also need to prove you:
• have a good knowledge of English
• can financially support yourself and your dependants

To prove your relationship send evidence that:
• confirms your relationship with your partner – for example, that you live together, share expenses or are married or in a civil partnership
• is less than 4 years old

Documents from the government, a bank, landlord, utility provider, or a medical professional. Things like:
• a marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate
• a tenancy agreement, utility bills or council tax bills confirming that you live at the same address or pay bills together
• a bank statement from a joint bank account, or confirming that you live at the same address
• a letter from your doctor or dentist confirming that you live at the same address
If you do not have any evidence that meets this criteria, there is other evidence you can provide instead. However, it’s less likely that you’ll be given a visa in this case.

You can stay in the UK for 2 years and 9 months on this visa.

You’ll need to prepare information and documents to provide with your application which you submit online whilst in the UK.

You can add children to your application as dependants if they are under 18 when you apply, or were under 18 when they were first granted leave and they do not live an independent life. A child is living an independent life if, for example, they’ve left home, got married and had children.

The earliest you can apply to settle in the UK (called ‘indefinite leave to remain’) is after you’ve lived in the UK for 5 years continuously on a family visa as a partner.

Self Isolation

Got myself a continuous cough and according to the NHS i am now required to self isolate. Better safe than sorry i guess. Now I have to do a covid test that I am very much not looking forward to. Uncomfortable but if everyone understands maybe we can mitigate the worst that is still to come.


Moving to the uk was kinda fun but kinda stress full too it was a new environment  first day of school was pretty awkward i didn’t really talk to anyone but on the fifth day i was beginning to fit in schools pretty fun.

Qualifying income

It is a lot easier once you are in the UK and if both of you are earning.  Much better for the blood pressure.

You and your partner must have a combined income of at least £18,600 a year if:
You’re applying as a partner and you want to settle in the UK (get ‘indefinite leave to remain’) within 5 years

You must prove you have extra money if you have children who:
are not British or Irish citizens
do not have pre-settled status
are not permanently settled in the UK

If you need to prove extra money for your children, you’ll need to earn an extra:
£3,800 for your first child
£2,400 for each child you have after your first child
This is called the ‘minimum income requirement’.

You may be able to use your savings instead of income. How you prove you have the money depends on how you got the income.

What counts as income
You and your partner can use:
income from employment before tax and National Insurance (check your P60 or payslips) – you can only use your own income if you earn it in the UK
income you earn from self-employment or as a director of a limited company in the UK – check your Self Assessment tax return
cash savings above £16,000
money from a pension
non-work income, for example from property rentals or dividends

If you’re using income from self-employment or employment, you’ll need to prove you or your partner received that income for 6 months or more.


You’ve worked with the same employer earning £18,600 or more for 6 months or longer.

What proof you need to give

You’ll need to provide proof of your income with your application. If you or your partner are employed, you could include:
bank statements showing you or your partner’s income
6 months of payslips
a letter from an employer, dated and on headed paper
The employer’s letter should confirm:
you or your partner are employed there
the job title or position you or your partner hold
how long you or your partner have worked there
the type of contract (for example, permanent, fixed term)
what you or your partner earn before tax and National Insurance
how long you or your partner have been paid your current salary
the payslips are genuine

You’ll be told exactly what documents to provide when you apply online.

You need to show you and your family have enough money to adequately support and accommodate yourselves without relying on public funds. The caseworker considers your income and housing costs.

Sixth form in the UK

Like most things in the UK the schooling system is supposed to be very organised, if not regimented. Which is a bit intimating if you do not fit strictly within the parameters they work to.

Jono was seventeen without GCSE. Eventually we got him into a course for repeat students at Chichester College which is graded as Outstanding. But a year later I do have many questions. Not just about Chichester College, or the grading system, its the system.

Fortunately we ended getting locked down due to the coronavirus pandemic and he managed to scrape through with straight fours and a single five.

The rains

The creek rose significantly higher after raining most nights for a week or so. But we have had a few dry days and the mushroom stalls have started popping up at the intersection at traffic lights.

But it has been a funny wet season. Sporadic showers after an early start. Thereafter mostly rumbling thunder, a bit of lightening and then little to show for it.

The termite mushrooms aren’t that exciting either.

Smaller, scappy and the ones I have seen have already opened. Hopefully more to come.

Despite this cars are now beginning to line up. Hopefully with more to come.